Tuesday, April 10, 2012

FABULOUS FISH SAUCE


I am not sure why, but this year I am really impatient for the fresh vegetables to be available locally.  So much so that I've been cheating and buying stuff like asparagus, cilatnro, and dandelion greens from faraway places. I've also been buying pineapple and oranges!  I think it has something to do with the fact that we are eating way more vegetables and fruit now that we've reduced the amount of grains, pastas and breads we are eating with every meal, and I am getting tired of eating coleslaw and carrots.  And you know how good a bunch of asparagus tastes with a piece of fish, or how your body craves the bitterness of dandelion at this time of year.  The only sad part is that now when the local stuff comes out, it won't be as special or exciting.  Oh, who am I kidding, it will be very special still.  
     To make our two to three times weekly fish eating experience more exciting, I tried out a new sauce the other night, which I adapted slightly from a cookbook that has been sitting on my shelf for some time.  It's called Grilling Genius, and the two recipes I've tried out so far have been great, so I'm thinking, hey, maybe he is a genius.  Both Scott and I were blown away by the awesomeness of this sauce, and I think it would taste great on shrimp, scallops, and even chicken.  Our son Faegan wasn't so keen on it though, he kept scraping off the "green stuff".  Sigh.
HALIBUT WITH INTENSE CILANTRO GLAZE
(adapted form Grilling Genius by Scott Givot)

3 sustainably harvested Halibut steaks
1/2 Tbsp organic sesame oil (raw)
1/2 Tbsp organic toasted sesame oil
1 Tbsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp organic brown rice vinegar
1 Tbsp wheat free organic tamari
1 tsp organic coconut sugar
1/2 cup organic cilantro leaves
3 cloves organic garlic
1 organic red chili pepper, seeded (optional)
1 tsp sea salt

Method:  Rinse the fish and dry with a paper towel.  Blend the oils, fish sauce, vinegar, and tamari.  Add the sugar, cilantro, garlic, chili, and salt and blend again.  Pour the paste over the halibut and make sure the fish is completely coated.  Cover the dish and marinate in the fridge for 1 hour.  Turn the fish halfway through.
     Remove the fish from fridge 15 minutes before cooking.  Lift the fish from the glaze and cook on a well oiled ot grill for 6 mintues on each side, or broil in the oven for about 15 minutes.  Brush the remaining glaze over the cooked tops when turning fish.  

No comments:

Post a Comment