Sunday, April 15, 2012

SWISS APPLE PANCAKES

I've never been to Switzerland, so I really have no history or information behind this delicious pancake recipe other than that I adapted it from The Swiss Cookbook by Nika Standen Hazelton.  This is the only recipe I've ever made from it,  so I am really not prepared to make any recommendations, but how can a book with a photo of a pile of Toblerone bars on it be bad?
I've made this recipe many times, usually on Sunday mornings when I am in the mood for something different.  I've always followed the recipe directions and made one giant apple pancake which then gets cut into wedges and served hot with maple syrup.  It's a nice idea, but very impractical because it is extremely difficult to flip a huge apple laden pancake over neatly.  So this morning I managed to be innovative and make mini (or rather, normal size) pancakes using my two smaller cast iron pans.  The trick is to use a conservative amount of batter so the top isn't too runny when it's time to flip it.  Success!  and the pancakes brown nice and evenly instead of the usual burned patches in the centre that I get when make the giganticos.  My version is wheat free, contains less sugar and the flour is soaked overnight in buttermilk.  Breakfast goodness.
SWISS APPLE PANCAKES

2 cup organic whole spelt flour
1 cup organic light spelt flour
1 1/3 cups organic buttermilk
1 tsp sea salt
4 organic eggs, well beaten
3 Tbsp coconut sugar
1 tsp ground organic cinnamon
2/3 cup organic apple juice (I used freshly juiced)
3-4 organic apples (I used cortlands), peeled, cored and sliced thinly
1/4 cup organic butter

Method:  The night before you want to make these pancakes, combine the flour and buttermilk in a bowl and stir until all the flour is moistened.  Allow to rest overnight on the counter.
     The next morning, add the eggs, sugar, cinnamon, and apple juice.  Whisk until smooth.  Melt some of the butter in a small cast iron skillet.  Pour the batter into the skillet so that it coats the bottom of the pan in a 1-2 cm layer.  Top with the apple slices.

  Fry until golden brown.  Flip and brown the other side.  Serve hot with maple syrup or I've even heard of them being served with sour cream and currant jelly.  Yum.  Repeat with remaining batter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment