Saturday, April 7, 2012

ULTIMATE CARROT CAKE

Carrot cake is definitely one of my all time favorite cakes.  I like it so much I even made it for my wedding.  So, as you can imagine, I was pretty glad my son chose it as the cake he wanted for his fourth birthday this year.  Scott was disappointed when the chocolate cake initially chosen was suddenly changed to carrot.  No, I did not coerce or bribe him to pick it (although Scott thinks I did.)  Don't worry Scott, I promise to make you chocolate cake for your birthday!  
I thought I would do things a little differently to my awesome carrot cake recipe in an attempt to make it even more awesome.  The night before baking day, I mixed the buttermilk and spelt flour so the enzymes in the milk could begin to predigest the grain, making it healthier and easier for us to digest.  Now I have to admit, I was apprehensive because I wasn't sure how it would turn out and I didn't want to have to make it twice.  Now I know you are all sitting on the edge of your seats, wondering how it went.  Well, it was fantastic!  I mean, really good.  Like, I ate 4 pieces good.
ULTIMATE CARROT CAKE

1 cup organic light spelt flour
1 1/2 cups organic whole spelt flour
1 cup organic buttermilk
1/2 Tbsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 organic eggs
1/2 cup organic sunflower oil
1/2 cup local maple syrup
2 tsp organic pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup organic crushed pineapple, drained really well
2 cups shredded organic carrot
3/4 cup organic unsweetened shredded coconut
1 cup chopped organic walnuts (optional)

Method:  Combine the flour and buttermilk in a bowl and stir to combine well.  Cover with a lid and let sit at room temperature overnight or for at least 12 hours.
     The next day, preheat oven to 350* and butter 2 round baking pans or one rectangular one and then line with parchment paper.  In a bowl, whisk to combine the eggs, oil, maple syrup, vanilla, baking soda, cinnamon and sea salt.  Pour into the bowl of the soaked flour and using the paddle attachment on your mixer, stir until well incorporated.  Then by hand, stir in the carrot, coconut, pineapple and walnuts.  Pour the batter into the pans and bake for about an hour or until a tester inserted in the centre comes out clean.  Let cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove and allow to cool.  Frost and serve.
MAPLE CREAM CHEESE ICING

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
250 g organic cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup local maple syrup
1 tsp pure organic vanilla extract

Method:  Cream the butter and cream cheese together.  Then add the maple syrup and vanilla, beat until creamy.  Ice on a cooled cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment