Sunday, October 30, 2011

PROJECT ROSEHIPS

Autumn is the time of year to harvest wild rose hips.  They are the beautiful red orbs the roses leave behind after they've blossomed and shed their petals. Everyone is crazy about tropical super foods like goji berries and acai, but what about rose hips?  They are one of the highest sources of Vitamin C!  There is still so much for me to learn about this land I live on, as I have yet to really wander and identify the local flora and fauna.  Our own property doesn't grow very many rose bushes so I was wondering where on earth I could go close by that was plentiful and easy to access between naps and snacks with two kids.  Everyday when we go for a walk I see wild rose hips growing on the side of the road, but know that those are not good for picking and consuming because they've been poisoned by the cars.  So, when I noticed the abandoned house on our street whose yard is full of wild rose bushes I decided to wander on over and pick a few.  That's when I heard the dog bark and the next door neighbour come out onto his deck.  I kept on picking anyway figuring it wasn't his property and I was only gently wildcrafting. We're a pretty harmless and non-threatening crew (wee Faegan and momma with a babe on back) so he left us alone, but I had a feeling he was wondering why we were there.  We came home with a small basket of goodies, but I wanted more rose hips.  That's when I decided to ask my sweet neighbour Karen for help.  They have a gorgeous piece of land next to us, and as it turns out, FULL of rose hips!  I left the babe at home with papa and Faegan and I set out one sunny afternoon to pick to our heart's content.  We were fortunate to even have some help from Karen and her daughter's who picked the prickly rose hips with us.  
We picked until I had to come home to feed the baby and then, when everyone was asleep I got busy preserving the harvest.  I opted for the no-cook methods which preserve the heat sensitive Vitamin C in the fruit.  So now that the harvest is in and "marinating", we can sit back and wait a couple of weeks before we sample the goods.
ROSE HIP VINEGAR

organic local apple cider vinegar
wild rose hips

Method:  Half fill a clean, sterile glass jar with chopped rose hips.  Fill the rest of the jar with vinegar.  Seal with a layer of wax paper to prevent the lid from rusting.  Shake everyday for about 2 weeks and then strain.  Use in salad dressings.


DRIED ROSE HIPS

wild rose hips

Method:  Place whole, clean rose hips in a food dehydrator and dry until all the moisture is removed.  Chop them coarsely in a food processor and then sift to remove the hairs.  Store in a glass jar and use them to make a nutritious tea all winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment