Sunday, October 23, 2011

DIGGIN IT SUNDAYS 10/23/11

I am so in love with herbs.  This past week the herbal "bug" has hit me again and all I want to do is putter in the kitchen and make potions and concoctions.  Last weekend found me wandering through the yard, observing the dying of the plant world all around me, when I realized some of my herbs were still hanging in there.  
Even though they were not in their prime harvesting state I brought them in and hung them to dry.  Little bundles of rosemary, marjoram, thyme and tarragon hung from every corner of the kitchen for a few days and were then removed from their stems by little helping hands (Faegan's) and mommas one afternoon.  
Once dried there wasn't very much, but we now have four little jars of homegrown herbs to use in winter cooking.
     My father adores my herbal healing ointment and has been running low on it for some time.  I finally got around to making a batch to bring him when I visit my parents in Ontario in a few weeks.  I haven't made a batch of this stuff since I sold my natural skin care company 3 years ago!  Good thing it lasts a long time when stored in the refrigerator.
     While I was in the herbal mood, I decided to make Scott some manly man herbals.  The best way to get a guy to ingest herbs is to make them into chocolate.  Rosemary Gladstar has a a great recipe for Energy Balls that contain ginseng, pumpkin seeds, gotu kola and spirulina that is perfect for keeping my man in tip top shape.  Bonus!  he even like them.
ENERGY BALLS
by Rosemary Gladstar

3 parts organic pumpkin seeds, powdered
2 parts organic Siberian ginseng powder
1 part organic ginkgo or gotu kola powder
1 part organic ginseng powder
1/2 part organic spirulina powder
1 cup organic tahini
1/2 cup local honey
1/2 cup organic crushed almonds
organic coconut, cocoa powder, raisins, chocolate chips, goji berries, bee pollen

Method:  Combine the powdered herbs and spirulina, mix well.  Combine the sesame butter and honey together, to form a paste.  Add enough of the powdered herbs to thicken the paste, then add the almonds and any other additions you like.  Roll into walnut sized balls.  Eat two daily.

     The jar of red clover blossoms I harvested last spring came in handy last night when I blended a Women's Liver Tonic Tea for myself to have on hand at tea time.  I am loving getting back into making actual infusions instead of just quick teas, which boosts the healing power of the plants.  
LIVER TONIC FORMULA #2
by Rosemary Gladstar

3 parts organic nettle leaf
2 parts organic dandelion leaf
2 parts organic lemon balm
2 parts organic red clover blossoms
1 part organic alfalfa leaf

Method:  Combine all herbs together and store in a jar.  Prepare as an infusion by boiling 1 cup of water per tablespoon of herbs.  Pour water over the herbs and let steep for 30-60 minutes.
     All this herbal activity has inspired me to get out there and pick some wild rose hips, and to plan a more elaborate and productive herb garden for next year.  Green Blessings everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment