Saturday, September 10, 2011

A TIME FOR TOMATOES

So I'm just warning you now, there might be a lot of talk on here about tomatoes for a little while.  My source at the Farmer's Market (don't ask who, I won't be revealing, in fear the mass hordes of Halifax will descend and rob me of my precious produce) came through with a basket of organic tomatoes for preserving.  I had hoped for 3 bushels, and came away with one, but there is talk of more being available next week perhaps. In any case, there is going to be some major tomato action going on in the kitchen.  So much so that I've enlisted the assistance of my mother in law to come by on Monday to help by watching the wee ones while I mess up the kitchen.  But until then, my little red lovelies are laid out on the spare bed upstairs ripening as we speak.  
If anyone has a kick ass salsa recipe, please share.....thanks!

4 comments:

  1. Ah! Sweet! I will be getting my order tomorrow from my CSA. I ordered 50 lbs to start and will likely get more the next week. I'm lazy though....I will just be putting them all straight in the freezer, whole and as is. I will deal with them on an as needed basis as I just run under hot water to peel, then chop, then pop in my sauce/soup. So easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to get two flats of tomatoes from our market this Tuesday. I'd also like to get some fruit to preserve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wool Fairy Goddess freezing sounds like a great idea.....especially after a long day of canning! Alas, I am always afraid to rely on my freezer too much for fear we will lose power one day and lose everything!

    Kyndale Goddess best of luck with your tomato adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anastasia, I love your blog and the photos are great! You're doing a wonderful job recycling and keeping plastics out of your home as much as is possible. These are things I did years ago (30---woops now you know my age!) when my children were young. People thought I was crazy, but I knew what was best for the environment and my family. I canned, baked bread, sewed, knitted and crocheted, gardened, cooked, and had babies (5). Home-schooled my youngest two. Such a wonderful time of life. You look like you're enjoying it to the fullest! May God bless your efforts! With Love, Lara

    ReplyDelete