Wednesday, September 14, 2011

DAYS OF HARVEST

The fields and orchards are being harvested, and we are fully celebrating and enjoying the bounty.  As I previously mentioned, I was up to my armpits in tomatoes this week, and so I made 29 jars of homemade salsa and ketchup.  Canning is one of those things that makes a huge mess in your kitchen and totally exhausts you.  By the end of it you really start to wonder why you do these things, and then you turn around and look at jar upon jar of ruby goodness and can't help but feel pretty darn proud of yourself.  Besides, you have a whole year to recover before you do it all over again.  I've already cracked open a bottle of the salsa for breakfast burritos, and ketchup for these awesome potato delights I like to call Flying Saucers.  I am sure someone else has already discovered that it is much easier to make baked french fries if you cut the potatoes into thin disc-like slices instead of frites, but anyway, I like to think I am somewhat innovative and created these.  They tasted awesome dipped into my homemade ketchup.
FLYING SAUCERS


organic potatoes
organic e.v olive oil
sea salt
organic pepper, ground

Method:  Preheat oven to 400*.  Slice the potatoes into 1/2" discs.  Toss in a bowl with olive oil, sea salt and pepper.  Bake in the oven until one side is golden, flip and bake until potatoes are cooked and they are browned.
Tomato massacre.
Loving the Vita Mix for perfect ketchup making puree.
SALSA

    • 10 cups chopped organic tomatoes
    • 5 cups chopped organic green and red peppers
    • 5 cups chopped organic onions
    • 2  cups chopped organic hot pepper
    • 1 1/4 cups organic local apple cider vinegar
    • 6 organic garlic cloves, minced
    • 1/2 cup fresh organic cilantro, minced
    • 3 tsp salt
    • 1 (6 ounce) can organic tomato paste
    • Method:  Combine all ingredients except tomato paste in a large sauce pot.  Simmer until it reaches desired thickness.  Stir in the tomato paste, and then ladle the hot salsa into sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.  Wipe rims, seal and process for 15 minutes in a hot water bath.  
This week in mommy kindergarten we are honouring apples by singing about apples, doing fingerplays about apples, telling apple stories, painting and stamping with apples, drawing apple trees on chalkboards, and of course, eating apples!  This morning my son and I made an apple pie together which was a lot of fun, and a lot of yum.  He especially enjoyed using the apple corer/segmenter wheel.  When he tired of that he used my melon baller to dig holes in the flour.
I was so excited about the pie I even called Scott at work to tell him the good news.  Faegan was really proud of himself for making an apple pie too.  It is amazing how much more pleasant our days are together now that we have a nice rhythm going, and spending our mornings on planned activities.  I love it!

APPLE PIE

5-6 cups peeled, cored and sliced organic apples
1/4 cup local maple syrup, or more to taste
1/8 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp organic corn starch
1/4-1/ 2 tsp organic cinnamon powder
1 Tbsp organic lemon juice

Method:  Prepare the pie dough and let it chill in the refrigerator while you cut and slice the apples.  Preheat oven to 450*.  Place the apple slices in a large bowl and toss with the maple syrup, salt, corn starch, cinnamon and lemon juice.  Remove pie dough from fridge and roll out the bottom crust.  Line a 9" pie plate with it and fill with the apples.  Roll out the other half of dough and cover the pie with the crust.  Prick it with a fork and cut a cross in the centre with a knife.  Bake the pie in the oven at 450* for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350* and bake for 45-60 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. Doesn't it feel good to have a bit of a plan in place with the kids? It's nice to think ahead a bit and have everything on hand...instead of rummaging around. Everything looks so yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking of making ketchup! What recipe did you use and how much does it taste like ketchup from a bottle? (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ketchup recipe is a few posts back in this blog.....it tastes really good, my son loves it too. It tastes very close to the commercial stuff, though not as thick, although I am sure if you reduce it even more it could get that thick, or add tomato paste. Also if you use sugar it could taste even more like it......good luck! highly recommend making your own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, I found it. I am going to give it a try. I don't think I have enough tomatoes for a year's supply of ketchup, but it will be a fun trial for me. I'm feeling stingy with my tomatoes and must prioritize!!

    Salsa is looking good too!

    ReplyDelete