Sunday, September 12, 2010

DILL PICKLES

I used to think the whole joke about pregnant women craving pickles was something that would never occur to me.  In a sense it is true that I don't crave them, but I do really enjoy them now more than ever.  So, I decided to make some dill pickles with the fresh cucumbers that are in season right now.
 In an effort to use a more local product, I tried using Boate's Apple Cider Vinegar to make dill pickles last year.  They turned out, only I wasn't very keen on the appley taste.  I was really tempted to just cave and buy good old white vinegar, but realized I couldn't find any that was in a glass bottle, so I decided to try out white wine vinegar.  I'll let you know how it goes.
DILL PICKLES

8 lbs organic pickling cucumbers
14 heads fresh organic dill
7-10 cloves organic garlic, chopped
7 Tbsp coarse celtic sea salt
7 tsp organic pickling spice
3 1/2 dried organic red hot peppers
8 cups vinegar (your choice)
8 cups water

Method:  Fill boiling water canner with water.  Place 7 clean 1 litre mason jars in the canner over high heat.  Wash cucumbers, slicing off blossom ends, leaving a 1/4 inch of stem attached.  Place snap lids in boiling water and boil for 5 minutes.
     Combine vinegar and water in a large stainless steel saucepan.  Bring to a boil, boiling gently while you pack jars.  In a hot jar, place 1 head of dill, 1 clove of the chopped garlic, 1 Tbsp salt, 1 tsp spice and 1/2 of a hot pepper.  Pack cucumbers into a hot jar to within 2 cm of top rim.  Place one head of dill on top.  Add boiling pickling liquid to cover cucumbers to within 1 cm of top rim.  Remove air bubbles by sliding a rubber spatula between glass and food, readjust head space.  Wipe rim, then centre, snap lid on and apply screw band until just fingertip tight  Place jar in canner.  Repeat.  Cover canner, return water to boil and process 15 minutes.  Remove jars, cool 24 hours, check jar seals.

No comments:

Post a Comment