Saturday, September 11, 2010

SHRIMP STIR FRY

Living life with less plastic isn't the easiest thing to do sometimes, but for the most part, once you get used to shopping and living differently, it ain't so bad!  For instance, I've sewn a whole bunch of cloth produce bags with drawstrings and take them with me to the market instead of using the plastic bags provided.  I also bring along paper bags and vegetable wax paper for bulk items, meats and seafood, as well as an (old) plastic tub so nothing leaks out.  
     Today, instead of buying the (unfortunately plastic packaged) PC Organic Shrimp that I was once so excited about, I got some wild caught ones from Mike's Fish Shop at the Farmer's Market.  Sometimes it is inconvenient when you are looking for something specific and it is only available wrapped in useless plastic.  If you're strategic though, another store probably sells what you are looking for.  For example, Atlantic Superstore has a nasty policy of selling most of it's organic produce in plastic.  So I choose to shop at the Farmer's Market and Planet Organic.  The market is your best choice for finding plastic free food by far.  Some vendors do use a lot of plastic, but there is always someone around the corner who doesn't, so be discriminating!
     Today was a great reminder that living a life plastic free requires not only diligence in the market, but regular activism!  The last couple of times I've shopped at Bulk Barn, the checkout staff got all flustered when they saw my paper bags.  They then tell me that I am not allowed to use my own bags because of health regulations.  Not only was I hassled by the staff, but then a customer in line was impatient and told  me this wasn't the time for political activism.  I strongly disagreed which then held him up even longer.  So sad.  Anyway, so I will be calling Bulk Barn head office on Monday to voice my objection to their policy and to request that they offer paper bags in their stores for customers who prefer them.  If you are so inclined, please join me by calling (905)886-6756.


SHRIMP STIR-FRY
10 wild caught shrimp, sliced in half lengthwise if huge
3 Tbsp fresh organic ginger, grated and the juice squeezed out with the palm of your hand
3 Tbsp organic tamari soy sauce
1 Tbsp brown rice vinegar
2 tsp organic sugar or honey
1-2 Tbsp organic cornstarch
1 cup water
organic black pepper
4 Tbsp organic vegetable oil
1 organic red bell pepper
1 stalk organic broccoli, peeled and chopped into florets
1 large handful organic snow peas or sugar snap peas
8 organic green onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 organic zucchini, cut into half moons
1 large handful roasted organic cashews

Method:  In a small bowl, whisk together the tamari, ginger juice, vinegar, sugar, cornstarch, some black pepper and the water.  Set aside.
     Heat half the oil in a large cast iron wok over medium high heat.  Cook the shrimp until just opaque, set aside.  
     Add the other half of the oil and stir fry the vegetables until crisp yet tender, about 3 minutes.
     Whisk the sauce, and pour it into pan, cook stirring until thickened.  Add the shrimp and stir until coated.  Serve over rice or noodles with some cashews.

No comments:

Post a Comment