Thursday, May 20, 2010

NO PLASTIC

I am inspired to reduce and hopefully eliminate my use of plastic.  There is pretty much nothing good about plastic and it sticks around forever which is bad for us and future generations.  So that being said I am on a journey of discovery of alternatives to life with plastic.  I thought I would share with you some of the things I am now using instead of plastic around our house, especially the kitchen.
     In the photo you will see a lovely dish brush called The Laid Back Dish Brush.  I bought it at P'lovers in Halifax and I really like it.  It's pretty cool, made with natural bristles and recycled plastic, bamboo and a biodegradable plant based plastic.  You buy replaceable heads too instead of buying a whole new handle each time.  Seeing as this does still contain some plastic, I am thinking of buying ones that I recently saw online that are made from tampico.
     The next product are these really great biodegradable dish cloths from Vileda.  They are 70% viscose from cellulose and 30% organic cotton!  The best part is you can get them at Atlantic Superstore!  I love that these work so well to wash dishes and wipe counters.  They also hold up really well to being washed in the laundry.  The price is great too....I think I paid 2.99 for a pack of 3.  Way to go Vileda!
  The last item I'd like to mention is the unbleached soywax paper.  Although I am concerned about the potential of the soy in this being of genetically modified origin, I am glad to have an alternative to plastic wrap.  This stuff is great for wrapping food, and I even bring it to the store and have them wrap deli items and seafood in it.  It is available at Planet Organic and will run you about $3.29 for a roll.  And the packaging has no plastic either.  Yay!
  As I was browsing the blog Plastic Manners, I followed the links and found myself at the Berkeley Farmer's Market list for storing vegetables without plastic.  Here is the link if you are so moved to start refrigerating your goodies without plastic: http://www.fakeplasticfish.com/images/Berkeley%20Farmers%20Market%20Tips%20for%20Storing%20Produce.pdf

                                                       

1 comment:

  1. Great work Anastasia... you are motivating me...Laur and I are being more selective as well.

    ReplyDelete