Friday, May 21, 2010

OUTSIDE FOOD

Sometimes I am blown away by just how beautiful spring can be in the country.  Even though I was grumpy as can be this evening, I still managed to be awestruck by the greenery, the sun, the cool breeze and the blossoms.  This all occurred as I was sitting by the fire while my husband nurtured some coals to cook supper on.  Scott loves being outside even more than I do, sipping wine by the fire.  So it was his idea to fry up some trout over the fire.  The trout is from a sweet little boy at the Farmer's Market.  He sells them out of a cooler from his stash he catches at a lake near his home.  It doesn't get much better than that, unless you catch your own of course!  Since the coals were fired up, I thought it might be nice to bake some russet potatoes while we were at it.  They were delicious topped with salty butter, cheddar cheese, fresh spring onions and yogurt.  Oh and the salad!  Fresh lettuce from the market was supplemented from some of the wee lettuce and arugula shoots I have growing in a pot on the deck.  Great way to get some early greens before the soil in the big garden is warm enough.




     

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, I have been having the same feelings about this green countryside we live in. I am so in love with this spring (THIS spring in particular), I want to hug it and inhale it and stay outside for as long as possible. We had a fire this afternoon up at the building site, and although the menu was hot dogs and white buns, it was splendid and spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  2. becky, so glad to see you are enjoying the new house already.....and anything over the fire tastes great!

    ReplyDelete