Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Winter Salad


Lately our salads have been coleslaw type salads made with cabbage because that's what is available this time of year in Nova Scotia!  To switch things up a bit I decided to use up an avocado that was perfectly ripe on our counter to make a salad using frozen green peas.  Last year I actually froze some local green peas, but I have to admit these ones are regular supermarket peas, prepared in an unusual manner.  Can you believe I was able to buy tomatoes this time of year at the Farmer's Market?  Norbert is amazing.  He had yellow, green and red peppers too!

PEA SALAD with Grated Carrot, Avocado and Tomato

2 organic carrots, grated
1/2 organic avocado, cubed
1/2 organic tomato, cubed
1 cup frozen peas, cooked
1/2 Tbsp umeboshi vinegar
1/2 organic lemon, squeezed
drizzle of organic sesame oil
black pepper

Method:  Combine all ingredients and toss.

I've started a new business called Earth's Oven Organic Bakery (www.earthsoven.etsy.com).  I sell at the Halifax Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings.  We offer lovely baked goods, and as a special item, Organic Whole Wheat Pizza dough.  I had one left over at the end of market day so we are having it for supper......this is just a picture of the basics.


No comments:

Post a Comment