Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Eggs!


Our hens are laying!  It is so much fun to wake up each morning, go outside and check for eggs in the henhouse.  To prevent the ladies from laying their eggs outside in the woods where we won't be able to find them, we usually keep them in until about 9 or 10 am.  Today they must have been busy at work because I found three eggs.  You wouldn't believe the difference in flavour and colour of these eggs!  Yesterday I fried one up whose yolk was literally orange.  I never knew eggs could be so flavourful.  The beauty of our chickens is that they are free range, so they eat lots of bugs, and we feed them organic feed.  I love our chickens!
My husband is so mean (but funny).  Before our chicks were laying, but right around the time we knew they might be starting I would go into their house and check for eggs.  One morning I was so excited to finally see an egg, beautifully nestled in the straw.  I ran into the house and called his mom's house where he was visiting and told her all about it.  Scott came home that night and started laughing.  Apparently he had put one of his leftover boiled eggs from lunch in that morning to fool me.  I wasn't impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment