Sunday, July 29, 2012

WILDCRAFTING: Blueberries

I paid a visit to my favorite wild blueberry picking spot on my way into the city the other day and was very happy to discover that the time for picking is now.  I had fantasies of a quiet morning in solitude foraging for blueberries, but my plan was foiled.  My son was desperate to come along to "Blueberry Land", and so he did.  
He was really cute with his little bucket in hand as I heard the little "dip, dip" of his harvest hitting their mark.  The novelty of actually doing any picking lasted about 30 minutes, and then her transformed into the blueberry monster who ate every berry he came across.  At two and half hours he was ready for home, but I was frantic.  I couldn't stop tipping my bucket of berries over!  Picking little tiny blueberries off the ground is very tedious and disheartening work.  Alas, a good portion of my harvest has now become compost on the forest floor, but I did manage to salvage enough to make one, delicious, and I mean delicious, pie.  Note to self:  always use a container that has a wide base that won't tip over when picking blueberries.  My husband also informed me that I could always do it like his dad does - use a little sour cream container for the active picking, and when it gets full, dump it into a larger, lidded container.  Good idea.
Please note:  berry picking is not for the "instant gratification" type of individual.  It takes a long time to pick berries (and sometimes your bucket tips over).  Then you have to bring them home and clean them and remove all the leaves, dirt, and debris (especially if you had to pick them up off the ground after spilling them) which is kind of hard.  But I do have a quick cleaning tip - place berries in a bowl of water, swirl and strain.  Then pick up small handfuls of berries, pick out any large chunks of debris and then dump the handful of berries in a bowl.  Little bits of dirt and leaves will remain stuck to your hand, simply wipe off on a towel and repeat.
WILD BLUEBERRY PIE

1 double crust recipe for pastry dough
4 cups wild blueberries
4 Tbsp organic cornstarch
1/4 cup local maple syrup
1 tsp organic lemon juice

Method:  Preheat oven to 400*.  Place the berries in a large bowl.  Using a potato masher, squish 1/4 of the berries to release some juice.  Stir in the cornstarch, maple syrup and lemon juice.  Let rest while you prepare pie crust in pie plate.  Pour in filling, cover with other crust and then bake at 400* for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350* and bake for about 20-30 minutes or until crust browns slightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment