Sunday, July 29, 2012

CHEVRE

I am quite amazed it has taken me this long to make homemade cheese.  Up until now I've never had access to homegrown, organic, raw and delicious milk so it never really made sense for me to make cheese from milk in a carton.  Our dear goat Cassie kissed her wee ones goodbye and off they went to a new farm to live, and we now have full and complete access to her udder.  Last year we were kind of off on our weaning timing and messed up the system and were only getting small amounts of milk each day.  This year we are definitely in the game and get a good litre and a half a day.  For our family that is more than enough milk for cooking and drinking, so I started freezing some every day in anticipation of some cheese making.  My dream of making homemade cheese has been realized at last, and it was special indeed.  And easy, which is a bonus.  After a long morning of wild blueberry picking, I came home to a precious batch of chevre ready for the sampling.   The most simple, perfect, and delicious lunch I've ever had.  
By simple I mean just stirring in some raw minced garlic, some torn fresh basil from the garden, and a drizzle of olive oil.  Spread that goodness on some toasted sourdough crostini and prepare to swoon.  And eat more.

CHEVRE

4 litres organic raw goat milk
1/8 tsp Mesophilic culture
1/4 tablet rennet
sea salt to taste
Method:  Dissolve the rennet tablet in some unchlorinated water and allow to sit for 30 minutes before using.   Warm milk ever so gently to 22* which is really like room temperature.  Then stir in the starter culture and then the rennet solution and stir for 30 seconds.  Cover and allow to sit at room temperature for 12-18 hours.
     When a curd has developed, use a slotted spoon to scoop out the curd mass into a strainer lined with cheesecloth.  Drain out the liquid whey for 6-12 hours (the longer the drier and tangier).  Once drained, remove cheese from cloth and add 1 tsp sea salt and herbs if desired.  Store in a covered glass container in fridge and eat within 7-10 days.

I feel like I've landed in the land of milk and honey.  A huge bowl of cheese sitting in my fridge, and I can't stop dipping my finger in for a taste.  I also couldn't resist using some in our dinner tonight.
I am loving summertime food.  Fresh and local roasted eggplant, tomato sauce, fresh goat cheese and mozzarella.  It truly doesn't get any better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment