Sunday, June 17, 2012

THE GRAPES OF WRAP

Like I mentioned earlier, I am visiting my mom and dad in Ontario for awhile.  Although I haven't been posting very frequently, I just knew I had to share with you a magical little place right near their home.  It is a walking trail on the edge of a forest and wetland.  Despite the huge amount of suburban development that is occurring in this area, there are tiny pockets of wilderness that remain, and I am always delighted to witness the bounty of nature thriving and providing even in the most unexpected places.  Each morning I take the boys for a walk along this trail, and I listen to the birds and observe the plants growing and bearing fruit.  I am especially enamored with the wild grapes that are growing profusely on the trees and bushes right at the edge of the forest.  It is amazing.  Who would have thought that you could harvest wild grapes smack dab in the middle of suburbia? Well you can, and I have.  The grapes aren't ready yet though, so I thought I'd share with you a little clip I took this morning that demonstrates how to harvest Grape Leaves.
     I grew up eating grape leaves prepared pretty much only one way - as Dolmades, or Greek Stuffed Grape Leaves.  But I do recall having seen some exciting recipes using grape leaves.  For instance, Mario Batali makes Stuffed Grape Leaves with Goat Cheese and Black Pepper.  Or how about Grilled Salmon in Grape Leaves?  Mmm this sounds good too..Grilled Beef in Grape Leaves.  Anytime you want to wrap stuff and grill it, go for the grape leaves.
     Like I said, I have yet to use grape leaves for anything other than Dolmades.  But after checking out these other recipes, I think I may have to branch out.  I had big plans to share my awesome Dolmades recipe with you, but I am going to have to wait until I get home to dig out the recipe..sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment