Friday, June 15, 2012

FRAGARIA X ANANASSA FIELDS FOREVER

Strawberry season is here!  Woo hoo!  

I get so excited about fresh, local strawberries because I've waited all year to eat them again.  (Ok, so I did buy a couple of packs of frozen berries this winter, but that was only because I never managed to freeze any local strawberries last summer.)  Well, if I still lived in Ontario, I would definitely be heading over to this organic farm again to pick strawberries.  We arrived nice and early this morning (to beat the heat wave of the afternoon sun) to this gem of a place so close to my hometown of Markham, Ontario.  Oh! What a beautiful farm they have over there.  I was having farm envy big time.  The best part was seeing the pigs running wild in the forest foraging for roots and whatnot.  

We couldn't resist, we had to buy some bacon on the way out.  As soon as we got home we fired up the cast iron and had a bacon feast.  So good.  But that was after the strawberry fiesta we had in the car.  Despite being so full of strawberries already, I attempted to make a grain free strawberry crisp with my new favorite ingredient, almond flour.  It was really yummy, but definitely not picture or recipe sharing worthy just yet.  I've got to tweak that baby a bit before I share.  Really glad I went picking this year, but so sad it wasn't my freezer I was filling...



It's all well and good to bake and such with your berries, but truly, the best way to enjoy them is straight up, still warm from the sun.  Happy Summer.

1 comment: