Thursday, September 22, 2011

SUPER SIMPLE SUPPER

I love it when I am kind of stressing about what to make for supper, and then end up making something so yum it kind of blows me away.  Tonight was one of those nights.  Plan A was to make Braised Short Ribs, but that idea was short lived because I didn't have any red wine in the house (how could I when I live with a wino?) and didn't feel like making it without.  So at the last moment I thought, hey, why don't I make something with that can of black beans I have sitting in the cupboard?  And so I did, and it was good.  Even better served with garlic cheese bread.  I can still taste the garlic and I've brushed my teeth.
BLACK BEAN SALAD

1 can organic black beans (I like Eden Organic, they use BPA free cans)
1 organic red pepper, diced
1/2 bunch organic parsley, minced (about 1/4 cup when all is said and done)
1 organic tomato, diced
1 small organic cucumber, diced

Dressing:
1/4-1/3 cup organic e.v olive oil
1-2 Tbsp organic tamari
2 tsp umbeboshi vinegar
3 Tbsp organic balsamic vinegar
2 tsp local honey
1 clove organic garlic, minced
juice of half an organic lemon

Method:  Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a bowl.
Combine all the other ingredients in a large bowl, drizzle with dressing and serve.  It also tastes great if you let it sit for a bit.
We've been snacking on some pretty tasty Zucchini Parmesan Loaf.  It's a nice alternative to your typical sweet zucchini bread.  At snack time today we enjoyed some toasted with melted swiss cheese. Yum.
I kind of overdid the snack time today and also served apples which we dipped in honey.  We were so full we barely ate lunch.  



There are only 3 days left in the Keeping it Real Book Giveaway Contest!  Wow, how time flies when you're having fun......

For those of you who have already subscribed to the blog and entered the contest, THANK YOU!  It is so great to be a part of a larger community committed to sustainable living.  I love reading your comments and getting to know you all better.  For those of you who haven't entered the contest to win 3 books of your choice from the Keeping It Real Amazon bookstore, what are you waiting for?  It will just take a minute to visit the contest page, read the details and subscribe to the blog.  If you'd like some extra chances to win, all you have to do is visit the blog and click the Facebook "Like" button.  For those people who really want to win, you can also enter again by posting the contest on your Facebook page.  Be sure to leave a comment on the blog letting me know that you did all these things so I can enter your name into the contest.  Alright, good luck y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment