Wednesday, September 28, 2011

LAZY PERSON'S GUIDE TO TOMATO PRESERVATION

After two people suggested I just freeze my tomatoes instead of canning them, I decided to give it at try.  I have no idea if I did it right because I did absolutely no research, but common sense tells me it will probably work out just fine.  Some of the tomatoes were pureed and then frozen in mason jars, while the rest were quartered and frozen.  I don't have enough tomatoes to last me the whole winter or anything, but it will be very nice to reach into the freezer in the dead of winter and pull out a nice sampling of the summer's harvest, frozen in time.

3 comments:

  1. I think you will be happy with the results! In fact, I didn't even peel mine. I put them in the freezer whole. Run them under hot water and the peels fall off. I then chop them up frozen and throw them in sauce. It works great....and is so easy I feel guilty...and lazy (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a pressure cooker to can tomatoes. I don't peel them, I just stuff the jar as much as possible, I add a pinch of salt, then I place my jars in a pressure cooker. I turn the heat on, and when the cooker whistles, I lower the heat and wait 20 minutes. And that's it, the cans are done. You just have to wait a bit before removing the cans, because they're too hot to handle and could break.
    These cans will keep easily for a year, and can be used in sauces, soups or stews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow claire, i will definitely have to try that out, sounds like the perfect way to can to me..

    ReplyDelete