Saturday, August 20, 2011

RUSTIC RHUBARB TARTS with Lemon Cream Cheese

So the Real Women of Philadelphia contest is long over, but I don't think I posted my recipe entry for Rustic Rhubarb Tarts.  I still have lots of rhubarb growing in my garden and I am guessing I am probably not the only one.  I apologize for the dorky videos I made demonstrating me making all kinds of stuff with Philly.  I am not really into Philadelphia cream cheese at all.  I never buy the stuff, and in fact don't recommend you do either.  I just really wanted to win $10 000.  Considering Anna Olsen was the judge, I figured my best bet was to go all conservative too.  So, if you like the recipes I submitted to the contest, do me a favour and substitute some nice organic cream cheese, or, when appropriate, creamy goat cheese (chevre).  That is what I actually use in my kitchen.  I am really looking forward to filming some great footage of "things we do around my place" in the near future.  I learned alot filming these little suckers, and can't wait to refine my skills in the fine art of video blogging..



RUSTIC RHUBARB TARTS

1 pound organic rhubarb
1/3 cup local maple syrup, or more to taste
1/2 cup organic whole wheat flour
1/2 cup organic unbleached white flour
1/2 cup organic rolled oats
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup organic unsalted butter, chilled
3 oz organic cream cheese, chilled
1 organic egg yolk
2 tsp organic lemon zest
2 Tbsp local maple syrup
5 oz organic cream cheese, room temperature



Make the pastry dough: Place the flours, oats, and sea salt in the bowl of a food processor, and pulse to combine.  Add 1 egg yolk, 3 oz cold Cream Cheese, 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, and process until the dough comes together, about 15 seconds.  
Pour the dough out onto your counter and form it into 6 equal balls.  Flatten each disc with the palm of your hand and place them in a covered container in the refrigerator and chill while you make the other components of the recipe.  
Make the rhubarb compote: Chop the rhubarb into small pieces.  Place them in a medium sized saucepan with the maple syrup and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer until the mixture thickens to a thin jam like consistency.  Remove from heat and allow to cool. 
 Make the cream cheese filling: Place the 5 oz of room temperature cream cheese in the bowl of your mixer along with the maple syrup and lemon zest; mix until light and creamy.  
Roll out the dough: Remove the dough from the fridge and place a ball onto a lightly floured piece of parchment paper.  With a rolling pin, roll the dough out into a small circle that is 1/4" thick.  Leaving a 1" border, spread 1/6th of the cream cheese onto the dough.  Place a couple of spoonfulls of the rhubarb compote on top of the cream cheese.  Fold the edges of the dough over the filling, using your hands to shape and seal it gently.  Repeat this with the other 5 balls of dough.  Place the tarts onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated 375* oven for 40 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment