Thursday, August 25, 2011

BABY'S FIRST MEAL

Our family celebrated a milestone in baby Jude's life yesterday with a special ceremony to introduce him to his first taste of food.  I was determined to make this meal extra special by making a puree from food grown from our very own garden.  I know bananas, avocado, mangoes, and other yummy vegetables and fruits make for great baby foods, but it seems so wrong to feed him food grown in the tropics.  After some contemplation, I took a stroll into the garden and pulled up some nice looking carrots and headed into the kitchen.  I am loving my Vita Mix blender even more after spending the afternoon making baby food with it.  It liquifies anything in seconds.  While I was at it I decided to make broccoli and string bean puree as well. I piled up three levels of my asian bamboo steamer and then made enough food to freeze so when I am really harried and in need of food fast I'll have some on hand.
     The table was set with a food altar, symbols and samples of the wonderful foods that will nourish and sustain him throughout his life.  There was some bread and sea salt.  A new season apple.  A dish of olives and oil my father brought for us from his village in Greece.  A whole carrot fresh from the soil.  
The candle was lit and we gathered around.  I said a few words for my son.  Words spoken in hopes that he will never know hunger, and praying he will always honour the earth that sustains him.  


We love you little one, bon appetit.

No comments:

Post a Comment