Saturday, September 18, 2010

RAW CASHEW LEMON CHEESECAKE

Every now and then I like to flip through one of the many cookbooks on my shelf for inspiration and ideas.    Over the years I've dabbled in raw cuisine, testing out recipes from books now and then.  For the most part I've really enjoyed the recipes I've tried, especially the desserts!  A really lovely raw "un"cook book that I bought a while ago called "I am Grateful" by Teres Engelhart has some really yummy desserts.  Today, I decided I had to make the cashew lemon cheesecake.  It is so simple to make and incredibly delicious.  I ate two pieces and can't wait to go back for more tomorrow.  (By the time I got around to photographing this the light wasn't so great, so I apologize for the crappy photo!)
RAW CASHEW LEMON CHEESECAKE
adapted from "I am Grateful" by Teres Englehart

makes a 9 1/2 cheesecake

For the crust:
2 cups organic almonds
1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/4 - 1/2 cup organic dates (I used about 16)

For the filling:
3 cups soaked organic raw cashews (soaked 8 hours in water)
1 1/2 cups homemade organic almond milk
1 cup organic lemon juice
1/2 cup local honey
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 pinches sea salt
3 Tbsp organic non-gmo lecithin granules
3/4 cup raw unscented coconut oil

Garnish:
Top with organic lemon zest and/or slice and wild blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Method:  Make the crust first by finely chopping the almonds, vanilla and sea salt in the bowl of your food processor fitted with the "S" blade until finely crumbled.  Continue to process while adding the dates in small amounts until the crust sticks together.  Press crust into the bottom of a 9 1/2" spring form pan.
     To make the filling, blend all the ingredients except the lecithin and coconut oil until smooth.  Add the lecithin and coconut oil and blend until well incorporated.  Pour onto the crust and sprinkle with the blueberries.  Set in the fridge or freezer until firm (about an hour).  

No comments:

Post a Comment