Monday, September 20, 2010

BASIL BONANZA: Fresh Tomato Basil Sauce and Basil Vinaigrette

I wait all year for the fresh local tomatoes and basil.  We all know how bland and tasteless out of season imported tomatoes are, so why bother eating them?  
This week at the market I bought a huge, HUGE bouquet of fresh basil.  It has been sitting on my counter in a cup of water until I felt inspired to make something beautiful with it.  Normally I just make my favorite Hempseed Miso Pesto and freeze it in glass jars in the fridge so we can enjoy it all winter.  Seeing as I've already made about four jars of that, I decided to try something different - Fresh Basil Vinaigrette.  I found this recipe in my favorite cookbook "REbar" so decided to try it out.  Why did I wait so long?  It's amazing!  So good in fact, I made a double batch and intend to enjoy it all week long.  For tonight though, it is going to be featured on a fresh salad next to a huge plate of pasta with my Fresh Tomato Basil Sauce.  Norbert Kungl was selling organic paste tomatoes (those are the little tomatoes that are just a wee bit bigger than grape tomatoes) and I've been wanting to make some sauce from fresh tomatoes for a while.  What a difference fresh tomatoes make!  So sweet and delicious, it makes you so glad you waited all year.

FRESH BASIL VINAIGRETTE
adapted from "Rebar Modern Food Cookbook" by Audrey Alsterberg and Wanda Urbanowicz

Yields 1 1/4 cups (300 ml)

2 cloves organic garlic
1 1/2 Tbsp grainy organic mustard
2 Tbsp local honey
1/4 cup local apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp organic balsamic vinaigrette
45 g fresh organic basil leaves
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp cracked organic pepper
1 cup e.v olive oil

Method:  Combine all ingredients except oil in the blender.  Slowly add olive oil in a slow, thin stream until thick and creamy.  Season to taste and refrigerate up to 3 days.


FRESH TOMATO SAUCE with Basil
Yields 6 cups

2 Tbsp e.v olive oil
5-6 clove organic garlic, minced
12-15 fresh organic tomatoes or 30-40 small paste tomatoes, diced
sea salt and pepper
20 g fresh organic basil

Method:  Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add the garlic, stir and then add the tomatoes and basil.  Season with a few pinches of sea salt and pepper.  Cook covered for 5 minutes, then remove lid, reduce heat to medium low, stir and let liquid reduce until sauce reaches desired consistency. Adjust seasoning as required.  Serve over pasta or on pizza.
This can also be made with 2 cans of organic tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment