Wednesday, May 12, 2010

NETTLE SOUP

I've planted nettle at every house I've lived in, much to the dismay of the new residents I am sure.  Anyone unaware of it's presence might be surprised by it's nasty sting!  But rest assured, the needles and their stinging properties disappear once the plant is cooked.  After removing the leaves from the stems I started juicing an apple and carrot juice and decided to add in some of the stalks from the nettle into my juicer and I was pleasantly rewarded with a subtle grassy essence to my drink!  I will definitely do that again.

CREAM OF NETTLE SOUP

1/2 pound organic nettle leaves
4 Tbsp unsalted organic butter
1 medium sized organic onion, chopped
1 1/2 pound organic potatoes, thinly sliced
6 cups water or stock
1 Tbsp organic white wine vinegar
2 tsp sea salt
1 cup organic whole milk
1 cup organic cream
organic black pepper

Method:  Wash the nettle leaves.  Melt the butter in a large soup pot over medium heat.  Saute the onion until translucent, 3-4 minutes.  Add the nettle leaves, potatoes, water, vinegar, and salt and bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer until potatoes are tender.  Using an immersion blender, puree the soup, adding little bits of the milk until creamy.  Add the cream and simmer soup.  Season to taste with salt.

APPLE CARROT NETTLE JUICE

3 organic apples
4 organic carrots
5 organic nettle stems


Method:  Juice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment