Thursday, May 27, 2010

GARLICKY ANGEL HAIR PASTA with Kale and Mizuna

I am  a pleased to have found a supplier of Kamut Capellini.  Artesian Acres pasta is available all over the place but I've never seen this Angel Hair pasta.  I've been ordering wholesale from Ontario Natural Food Co-Op and I just happened to see it in the catalogue.  You'll be seeing a lot of it over the next little while because I have a whole case of it in my basement pantry!  The only thing is, now that I am plastic conscious I realize that I won't be ordering it again, until they change to some sort of responsible packaging that is.  I am coming more and more to the realization that for many favorite foods, the only alternative right now to plastic packaging is to make everything from scratch, and to grow our own.  Luckily homemade usually tastes better.
     So back to tonight's supper.  When you want to clean your fridge up and use any greens still lingering from your weekly farmer's market forage, make this pasta.  You only need one pot, so clean up is easy, and it tastes amazing.  You can use any green in this one too, I just so happened to have lots of kale and mizuna this week.

GARLICKY ANGEL HAIR PASTA with Kale and Mizuna

1 head of organic kale, chopped finely
1 bunch organic mizuna, chopped
3 cloves organic garlic, smashed and chopped
1 bag organic kamut capellini nests (375 g)
1/4 - 1/2 cup really good e.v olive oil
sea salt and pepper
romano cheese

Method:  Bring a large pot of water to boil.  Add 1 Tbsp sea salt, the kale, mizuna and pasta.  Cook 3-4 minutes, strain.  In the bottom of the hot, empty pot, warm the olive oil and garlic on the still warm element that has been turned off.  Then stir in the drained pasta and greens, serve with lots of cheese and pepper.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, can you buy the romano without plastic packaging? If so, where?
    -Anne-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. exciting news! i just bought 2 hunks of romano cheese from Pete's Frootique without any plastic. I kindly asked the woman at the cheese counter to cut me some off the huge wheel of romano cheese they had at the store. She didn't really want to but I was a bit persistent! Luckily they sell unbleached soya waxpaper at Pete's too because my roll ran out midway through wrapping the stuff.

    ReplyDelete