Thursday, April 29, 2010

THE GOOD AND THE BAD

I lasted one week on a spring cleanse and am now in a modified version of the cleanse.  I sort of had plans to keep it up for four weeks (if you can believe it!) but for now I am happy with the decision to increase my intake of vegetables and proteins, limit grains, and omit cane sugar and refined grains.  So a little menu update for you:
The pictures below are a little peek into a couple of the dishes I've been eating over the last week.  Trust me, most of the time it was so boring it's not even worth mentioning.  The lovely spring dandelion greens that I told you about the other day can also be served boiled with olive oil and lemon juice, sea salt and pepper.  I grew up eating dandelions and have fond memories of my dad's cousin Anna scouring our property looking for fresh dandelions.

That amazing tahini sauce made it's way onto our table again, this time lavishly drizzled on steamed quinoa, broccoli, and kale with roasted sweet potatoes and tofu, and some fresh raw radish, carrot and nori squares.

Today I was busy getting ready for the market and baked up some fresh vanilla cake for the Lamington's I sell every Saturday.  Even though I am not eating sweets, that is no reason for Scott to not indulge.  So I made him a little something that goes like this...


MAPLE VANILLA CAKE with Chocolate Hazelnut Spread, Dried Apricot, Vanilla Ice Cream and Chocolate Chips

Vanilla Cake: (from Sweet and Natural by Meredith McCarty)
1 1/2 cups organic whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups organic unbleached white flour
1 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 organic vegetable oil
1/2 cup local maple syrup
1/2 cup organic brown rice syrup
1 1/2 cups organic soy, rice or cow's milk
1 Tbsp vanilla

Method:  Preheat oven to 350*.  Line bottom or pan with parchment paper, and brush sides with oil.  Mix together the dry ingredients.  In a separate bowl whisk together the wet ingredients.  Add wet to dry.  Pour batter into pan.  Bake until middle is cooked when you pierce with a toothpick - 20 mins for muffins, 25-30 for standard cake pans, 30-45 for larger pans.  Transfer to wire rack to cool in pans for 10 minutes, then invert.

Nativa Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
Organic Unsulphured Apricots, chopped
Organic Chocolate Chips
Organic Vanilla Ice Cream

Method:  Warm the cake up, then slice.  Spread each piece with the hazelnut spread.  Top with ice cream and sprinkle with apricots and chocolate chips.


No comments:

Post a Comment