Wednesday, July 29, 2015

(Real) GREEK VILLAGE SALAD

I've been posting recipes on this blog for a few years now, and I just realized I've never shared a recipe for a traditional Greek Village Salad with you yet. Hard to believe since it's a salad I grew up eating and which I enjoy so very often every summer. Please note I said summer. That's because this is a summertime salad, the time when tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers are in season and when they taste good. Nothing kills me more than eating in a Greek restaurant in January and being served this salad made with bland tasting imported  un-ripe tomatoes and flavourless cucumbers. As with all good food from around the world, the key is to eat seasonally and locally for optimum nutrition and flavour. Period.
I just realized I forgot to add some olives to this salad. No worries, it's still a great salad without them!
GREEK VILLAGE SALAD

ripe organic tomatoes, cut into wedges
fresh local organic cucumbers, cut into pieces
fresh local organic green peppers, cut into pieces
fresh organic red onion, cut into thin pieces (optional)
fresh or dried organic Greek oregano
organic feta cheese
Greek black olives
Greek extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and pepper

Method: Place all the cut vegetables in a large plate. Crumble the feta cheese on top. Sprinkle with cut fresh oregano, or sprinkle with dried Greek oregano. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper. Add a few olive. Then drizzle liberally with olive oil. Stir gently and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes before eating a with a nice hunk of sourdough bread. Don't forget to mop up all the olive oil with bread too.



1 comment:

  1. I totally agree! There is nothing more disappointing then ordering a Greek salad at a restaurant in the winter season and the tomatoes are hard and tasteless! You sure can't beat the flavour of locally grown organic tomatoes and crispy cucumbers when they are in season. My mouth is watering just thinking about it and...looking at your display picture! Xo Andrea M.

    ReplyDelete