Friday, May 8, 2015

JAMAICAN STYLE

I'm the first to admit that goat meat isn't my first pick when I reach into the freezer.  But now that I've made Jamaican Style Goat Curry things have changed.  I am super glad I still have some Scotch Bonnet hot sauce that I made last summer lurking in the back of my fridge for days like this.  The only thing missing were some roti, which I am definitely making next time around.



JAMAICAN STYLE GOAT CURRY

1/4 cup avocado or coconut oil
8 Tbsp Jamaican style curry powder (recipe follows)
3 pounds organic goat meat
2 organic onions, chopped
1-2 habanero or Scotch bonnet peppers, seeded and chopped
2" piece organic ginger, peeled and grated
1 head organic garlic, chopped
1 small can pureed tomatoes
2 can organic coconut milk
1 Tbsp organic dried thyme
2 cups water
3 organic potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" chunks
2 organic sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" chunks
3 cups cubed squash (I used spaghetti because that is what I had but I'd probably use butternut or pumpkin)
1 cup frozen organic peas
2 organic carrots, chopped

Jamaican Curry Powder

1/4 cup whole organic coriander seeds
2 Tbsp whole organic cumin seeds
2 Tbsp whole organic mustard seeds
2 Tbsp whole organic anise seeds
1 Tbsp whole organic fenugreek seeds
1 Tbsp whole organic allspice berries
5 Tbsp organic ground turmeric

Spice Method: Place spices in a skillet and toast over medium heat until colour darkens slightly and spices are fragrant. Remove pan from heat, allow spices to cool to room temperature, then grind and use.

Curry Method: Cut the meat into 2-3" cubes, reserving the bones as well..  Salt the meat and set aside while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. 
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.  Pat the meat dry and brown well in batches.  Set the meat aside in a bowl.  Add the onions and hot peppers to the pot and sauté until the onions start to brown, about 5 minutes.  Sprinkle salt on the onions as they cook.  Then add the ginger, garlic and curry powder and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
Put the meat (and bones) back into the pot along with coconut milk, thyme, tomatoes and water.  Bring to a simmer and cook until the meat is very tender, about 2-3 hours.  When meat is almost done, add the vegetables.  Season to taste with salt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment