Friday, April 3, 2015

CHOCOLATE COCONUT ICE CREAM

True story.  I'm at the grocery store the other day picking up a few things in preparation of my son's 7th birthday party.  I'm at the checkout line when a charming older man strikes up a conversation about the weather (of course), which led to a discussion about maple syrup making.  Turns out he lives off the grid and taps his own sap and cans the maple syrup.  The cashier is ringing me through and I decide to stick to only spending what I actually have in CASH (bizarre I know!)  This inevitably means I have to remove a few items from my bag, which unfortunately included a wee carton of coconut ice cream.  My new friend then offers to pay for my ice cream, which I gratefully decline.  So, before you know it, I'm at home digging cans of coconut milk out the cupboard and making (even better) chocolate coconut ice cream for the party.  I left the supermarket without ice cream, but happy about the generosity of kind strangers, and the homemade version we ended up with instead.
CHOCOLATE COCONUT ICE CREAM

2 cans organic coconut milk (full fat)
1 tsp organic vanilla extract
1/2 cup local maple syrup
4 organic egg yolks
6 oz organic semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cups organic cocoa powder
1/2 cup organic milk (almond, goat or cow)

Method:  In the top of a double boiler over medium heat, melt chocolate chips.  Gradually whisk in cocoa powder until smooth.  In a bowl whisk egg yolks and maple syrup.  In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, bring coconut milk and milk to a simmer.  Gradually whisk into the egg mixture.  Return the mixture to the saucepan and stir in the chocolate.  Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.  Do not boil.  Let cool to room temperature.  Stir in vanilla and refrigerate overnight.  Stir cream mixture.  Transfer to an ice cream machine and freeze according to machine directions.  To serve, let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes until it is soft enough to scoop.

No comments:

Post a Comment