Monday, September 10, 2012

EASY, PEASY LACTO-FERMENTED CARROTS

Hats off to Sally Fallon for really getting people interested in lacto-fermentation.  I love it, it's so easy, tastes great and is awesomely good for you too.  One of my favorite recipes from her book Nourishing Traditions is a really simple shredded carrot.  In the book Sally recommends adding fresh ginger, but to be honest, I think it tastes better without.  So, after harvesting the carrots out of our garden before we move to the new digs, I made a batch and thought I'd show you how I did it.  
LACTO-FERMENTED CARROTS
adapted from Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions

4 cups grated organic carrots
1 Tbsp sea salt
4 Tbsp organic whey

Method:  Add the salt and whey to grated carrots.  Bash with a pestle until the juices start to ooze, then pack it into a glass jar.  Cover and let sit at room temperature for three days to ferment, then refrigerate. Keeps for at least 3 months.

1 comment: