Sunday, May 6, 2012

SINGING NETTLES- Soup Revisited

I've planted nettles at every house I have ever owned in the hopes of one day being able to watch it grow into a large healthy plant for harvesting from each spring.  That has yet to happen.  I keep moving before it gets a chance to establish itself.  Luckily I find nettle for sale every year at the Farmer's Market.  I also keep me eyes peeled for wild stinging nettles but have yet to find that special spot where they grow. 
I had fantasies of making Nettle Spanakoptia but having neither the ingredients nor energy to go that route, I opted for my annual pot of Nettle Soup.  Now, I know I've already posted a recipe for making Nettle Soup on this blog, but this recipe is a bit different so worthy of sharing anyway.


NETTLE SOUP Part Deux

150 g organic or wild stinging nettle leaves and tender stems
2 Tbsp organic butter
2 organic leek, cleaned and chopped thinly
1 organic onion
2 cloves organic garlic
2 organic celery stalks, sliced
2 Tbsp organic white or basmati rice
1 litre (4 cups) organic chicken stock
1 handful organic raw cashews, soaked for a few hours in water
1 cup filtered or spring water
sea salt and freshly ground organic black pepper
organic yogurt
fresh chives

Method:  Pick over the nettles, wash them thoroughly and discard the tougher stalks.  Melt the butter in a large pan over medium to low heat, add the onion, leek, celery and garlic, cover and sweat for 10 minutes, stirring a few times until soft.  Add the rice and stock, bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.  Add the nettles, and simmer for 5 minutes or until the rice and nettles are tender.  Season with salt and pepper.  
     Drain the cashew and then place the cashew in a food processor along with the one cup of water.  Blend until completely  pureed into a milk.  Add the soup to blender and puree.  Pour back into the pot, check for saltiness.  Ladle into bowl, top with a dollop of yogurt and snipped chives.  Serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment