Wednesday, April 18, 2012

OUT WITH THE OLD

...to make room for the new!  Little by little I've been clearing out the preserves from last summer (and the summer before) from our pantry and freezer.  It seemed odd to buy fresh, new kale (although I did anyway) when I still had jars of it in the freezer.  I also spied quite a few bottles of pesto that we hadn't managed to consume all winter.  Needless to say, we've been eating pesto in everything from scrambled eggs to salad dressing.  Speaking of salad dressing, I can't tell you how good a couple of spoonfuls of pesto tastes in a vinaigrette.  So good that I was wiping my plate clean of this dressing with bits of roasted duck at dinner last night.  We've been loving the fresh spinach available at the Farmer's Market these last few weeks, which tonight I paired with pickled beets from our garden and root cellar carrots.  Real, spring, salad.
PESTO VINAIGRETTE

1 1/2 Tbsp organic dijon mustard
2 Tbsp local honey
1/4 cup organic red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp organic balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp sea salt
ground organic black pepper
1/2 cup organic local flax seed oil
1/2 cup organic extra virgin olive oil


Method:  Combine all ingredients except oils in a blender and blend.  Slowly drizzle in the oils with motor running until thick and creamy.  Refrigerate up to 3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment