Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I'M IN MANNA FROM HEAVEN

I've missed Manna Bread so much.  I used to buy it all the time, but my low plastic lifestyle no longer included this (double) wrapped plastic convenience food.  I wrote it off as just another one of those things I can live without in order to decrease the planet's plastic overload.  
Good thing I like cooking though because now I make my own.  What?  Yes, you heard me right, you too can make your very own manna bread, and a wheat free one at that.  And what do you know, it's way cheaper.  The only trick is, you have to be very patient.  Yes, because in order to make manna bread you have to wait three days.  Trust me, that is a small price to pay for having the most delicious snack food on the planet in your cupboard.  Oh, and make sure you have lots of almond butter on hand because manna bread truly is a heavenly food when it's smeared with raw almond butter.  
     Not only does manna bread taste great and hit the spot every time I have the munchies, it is a very nutritious and easy to digest alternative to conventional breads.  This is because making breads from sprouted grains provides more protein, vitamins and minerals thanks to specific biochemical changes that occur during germination that increase the accessibility of these nutrients.
CARROT RAISIN MANNA BREAD

2 cups organic kamut berries
1/3 cup organic raisins
1 organic carrot, shredded

Method:  Soak the kamut berries overnight in water.  In the morning, strain. and then place them in a mason jar with a piece of cheesecloth held in place with an elastic band.  Place the jar upside down at a slight angle and let rest on your counter for 12 hours.  Rinse, drain, and let them sit another 12 hours.  By this time they should have a tail growing that is about as long as the grain itself.  Drain the kamut and place them in a food processor with the rest of the ingredients.  Process the ingredients until they turn into a sticky, doughy, paste.  This may take a few minutes.
     Grease your hands and remove the dough and form it into a loaf that is no higher than 1 1/2 inches.  Bake at 225* for 2 1/2 hours.  The outside will form a light, chewy crust while the inside is moist and muffin-like. Keeps well at room temperature for about 3 days, or you can slice and freeze.

2 comments:

  1. It looks good. I might just have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea; especially for those of us who have also read the Vegetarian myth. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete