Sunday, March 4, 2012

DIGGIN IT SUNDAY * 03/04/12

I love Sundays.  We start the morning off with a big family breakfast, and then everyone gets a chance to "get stuff done" around the house while Jude sleeps.  More often than not, this means Scott and Faegan are outside building or doing other chores, and I am inside, cleaning house, cooking, sewing, or just having some alone time in the house picking my nose.
Scott and Faegan were outside all day making an honest to goodness, real, functioning cold frame.  Last year we sort of built one into our garden, but it kind of sucked.  After reading the awesome book The Year Round Vegetable Gardener by Nikki Jabour, which was written by a local gardener, we were inspired to get serious and think about a structure that could help feed us all year long.  I am crazy excited about the idea of growing greens at times of the year when you least expect it.  Like in the middle of winter, and well,  right now for instance.  Especially after I just spent $5 on a tiny bag of fresh spinach at the market this weekend which made one salad for supper tonight  Now all we need is a year round indoor location for our grow lights.......
What's this?  Forsythia in March?  Mais oui!  Ok, so I cheated and forced some branches indoors last week.  It is so nice to see flowers blooming at this time of year when it feels like winter will n e v e r end...........sigh.   But it is ending, I can feel it in my bones and see signs of spring everywhere.
I can't leave this diggin it sunday without mentioning how much I loved Faegan's imaginative play this week.  As I was putting Jude down for a nap I heard his little feet running back and forth downstairs.  When I came down he has this beautiful spread laid out on the coffee table.  He said it was a birthday feast for me (hmm, it's not my birthday, but I can pretend it is....)

No comments:

Post a Comment