Friday, February 3, 2012

DIGGIN IT SUNDAYS * On a Friday

I was going to wait to post this on Sunday but can't wait that long to share with you what I am into these days.....
I am so happy that I know how to sew.  Even though it took me a long time to actually "get it" (sort of, I am still a huge beginner), I finally do and I am so excited.  Finally, that sewing machine I bought 8 years ago is finally getting some use.  Not a lot of use mind you, what with two children and all.  The funny thing is I rarely buy new fabric.  A friend of mine gave me a bunch of fabric she had leftover from a project of hers and I used that stuff every time I wanted to make something with nice "new" fabric instead of the old sheets, towels, and curtains I usually use.  
So, as you can imagine, I am really enjoying the lovely stash of fabric I recently purchased.  One of the reasons I don't like buying fabric is because it is really hard to find nice, organic fabric at a reasonable price.  I looked and looked online and wasn't really satisified with the selection and/or the prices for shipping.  That is, until I discovered this shop on Etsy that had beautiful organic prints that were pretty reasonable.  
     I am also really loving the organic thread I found online that comes on wooden spools.  I was getting very frustrated with the selection at my local fabric store because all the thread comes on plastic.  Even some organic threads come on plastic spools as well.  So, when I found this shop, I was in un-plastic heaven.  Now I just have to find some time so I can sew some magical gifts for my sister who is expecting her first child in March.
     I am full steam ahead into my holistic nutrition studies and am amazed at how much conflicting information there is out there when it comes to what to eat.  Lately, I lean more toward the current (cutting edge) trend toward eating foods as outlined in Sally Fallon's "Nourishing Traditions", which is chock full of recommendations that totally buck the way most people view nutrition nowadays.  You may be thinking, "Really, like what?"  Well, how about that meat, saturated fats, and raw milk products are actually good for you, and the earth.  Having been a vegetarian for so many years, I sometimes still find it difficult to eat meat, even though I do.  So I am really digging the book "The Vegetarian Myth" right now because it explores meat eating in a whole new way from the perspective of a reformed vegan.  Loving it.
Well, that's it for now.......Happy Sunday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment