Thursday, August 4, 2011

PUTTING IT UP

  One look in my garden today and I knew it was definitely time to start preserving some of this harvest before it was too late.  Like all of us, I have list a mile long of all the things I'd like to do, but some things just can't wait.  So during Jude's third and final nap of the day I headed into the garden and began to harvest chard, spinach and rhubarb.  I gave them all a little rinse and then set a huge pot of water on to boil.  Meanwhile, I chopped up the rhubarb and filled up a Mason jar with it and stuck it in the freezer.  I can't speak highly enough of Mason jars.  We use them for storing all of our food and beverages. 
  The spinach and chard are going to taste great in the dead of winter when not a leafy green is to be found (well except for some kale perhaps).  Into the boiling water went the chopped chard for just a little bit, enough to blanch it, and then bam! (Emeril style) I dunk it into ice water to shock it and help keep it's vibrant green colour.  This too went in the freezer in a Mason jar.  
I cook the spinach in a smaller pot with just a wee bit of water until it is wilted and then plop that into ice water.
 
 So, now I just have to keep this up until all the greens are safely put away for the long, cold winter.....

No comments:

Post a Comment