Thursday, March 31, 2011

SUGARING TIME

As you may have noticed, I love maple syrup.  I use it whenever possible, and love substituting it for sugar whenever I can in recipes.  Our house is always stocked with it, and in fact, I start to get anxious when we run out.  So, it only makes sense that we would try our hand at harvesting our very own sap to make maple syrup.  To our dismay, we only have three (small) maples on our property.  That hasn't stopped us from purchasing three spiles and tapping away.  Going around to each tree to empty the buckets of sap is one of the highlights of my day.  Right now, all the sap is gathering in our fridge until the weekend when the big boil down occurs.......

Did you know that maple sap makes for a refreshing beverage right out of the tree?  Oh indeed!  And so even without a chemical analysis of it, I can pretty much guarantee it is full of electrolytes and life giving energy to give you just the boost you need this spring.  If drinking it straight up isn't your thing, try replacing it for water in your favorite recipes....oatmeal, coffee, tea and more!

3 comments:

  1. I brought a jug with me to Saskatoon last fall and we used it until empty a week ago. Asked my mom to bring some in May when she visits. Couldn't wait that long so bought some at the organic co-op. I, too, substitue it for sugar in most of my recipes. I makes everything taste so much better and I feel better about eating it. Will bring back 2 big jugs next fall. Thank you for sharing . I look forward to hearing how much syrup you get from your trees. Big hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just curious - where did you buy the spiles and buckets?

    ReplyDelete
  3. the spiles and buckets are from Walker's Feed Supply in Cole Harbour. I have a feeling they are aluminum though so we are going to eventually make stainless steel buckets for our spiles.....

    ReplyDelete