Thursday, November 4, 2010

MAPLE OATMEAL SCONES

     I had a request from my husband Scott to make some more oatmeal scones.  Is it because they are so amazingly delicious, or just so handy to grab on the way out the door when he leaves so early in the morning?  Both.  We've been enjoying these scones for many years now.  What I love about them is that they're just like eating a nice bowl of oatmeal smothered in real maple syrup.  They freeze really well, sometimes I eat them frozen when I am too impatient to pop them in the toaster oven.  Last week before I started my modified cleanse I ate two in a row, warmed up and smothered with honey.......
     My father in law likes to pick wild cranberries each fall.  One day I am going to go out with him, but until then I just enjoy the bounty he provides.  To switch things up a bit, I decided to add some to the mix, along with some ground almonds and almond extract....delicious!  Feel free to experiment with other additions like blueberries, walnuts, hemp nuts, raisins, currants, cinnamon........

MAPLE OATMEAL SCONES

2 cups organic whole wheat or spelt flour (please note spelt makes a crumblier scone)
1 1/2 cups organic quick oats
1 1/2 tsp aluminum and GMO free baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup organic unsalted butter
1/2 cup organic whole milk
1/2 cup pure maple syrup or brown rice syrup or honey
1 organic free range egg
(optional - nuts, dried or fresh fruit, spices)

Method:  Preheat oven to 375*.  Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl until combined.  Cut in butter and mix with a fork or your fingers until butter is mixed in with the flour and marble sized.
     Combine milk, maple syrup, and egg.  Add to the dry ingredients and mix until dough comes together.  
     Flour your work surface liberally and pat dough out about 2 inches thick in a log shape.  Use more flour if necessary to dust the surface.  Using a knife or pastry scraper, cut the log into triangles.
     Place on a greased cookie sheet in a 375* oven and bake until light brown, about 15-20 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool on a rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment