Friday, May 14, 2010

DANDELION WINE

     When our lawn begins to sprout lovely yellow dandelion flowers,  I start planning my yearly batch of dandelion wine.  That makes it sound like I've made dandelion wine all my life, when in truth this is only my second year!  But this year I invested in a wine bottle corker because I have plans to make all kinds of homemade wines.  My husband and I enjoyed last years batch so much that I can't wait to see how this one turns out.  We will have to wait 6 months to find out though!  That's right, wine has to rest for that long once it's bottled.  The timing couldn't be better though because we open a bottle on Winter Solstice,  so it's like a Christmas gift to myself.  Be sure to pick the flower around noon on a sunny day when the blossoms are fully open.  Also make sure that you avoid picking any green parts of the dandelion as they may interfere with the fermentation process.

DANDELION WINE

4 litres boiled water
4 cups dandelion blossoms
2 organic oranges, zest peeled and then juiced
1 organic lemon, zest peeled and then juiced
2 pound local honey
1/4 tsp dry white wine or champagne yeast


Method:  Steep the blossoms in the boiling water, cover and let rest overnight (or up to 3 days) in an earthenware pot.  Then stir in the citrus peels and bring to a boil.  Strain into the earthenware crock again, stir in honey and let cool.  Add the raisins, lemon and orange juice and the the yeast.  Cover loosely and let sit in a dark room or cupboard for 2-3 weeks,  stirring every 2-3 days.  When fermentation is complete, strain with a cheesecloth, and pour into a 4 litre sterilized bottle fitted with a little gadget you buy at the wine making store that lets gas out but no air in.  Let this sit for 3 weeks and then pour into 500 ml bottles and cork.  Let age for 6-9 months.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment