Monday, February 22, 2010

Memories



When I was growing up my mom used to buy the greatest crusty Italian bread from a little place called Calabria Bakery.  Every now and then I would be in the car with her when she was shopping and she would treat me to some amazing Broccoli Pizza hot from their ovens.  So tonight I decided to replicate that pizza to the best of my ability.  I also made one of my favorite pizza combos of Artichoke and Basil Pesto, something my mom and I used to make growing up too.  I don't think I need to provide the recipe for the Hawaiian Pizza I made.  It was a great way to use up the rest of the ham from yesterday's Eggs Benedict.  But I will mention that in an effort to reduce the amount of plastic and packaging I buy, I decided to buy a fresh pineapple instead of going for the cans.
     I also wanted to mention how excited I am that I found some fresh greens at Ted Hutten's vegetable stand this week.  I overheard him telling another vendor about the mache that was ready, only to discover that it was kind of a hot commodity and you had to ask for it to be brought out from under the table (it's secret hiding place)!  My mom will be so jealous to hear that I am eating some of that, it's her favorite salad green.  He also had some spinach and mixed greens.  


BROCCOLI PIZZA Calabria Bakery Style

1/2 head organic broccoli, lightly steamed and chopped
1 organic onion, chopped
1 cups organic mozzarella, shredded
1/2 cup shredded romano cheese
1/2 cup organic mild cheddar, shredded
1/4 tsp sea salt and pepper
4 Tbsp olive oil

Method:  Preheat oven to 450*.  Spread pizza dough out onto a pan.  Combine the broccoli, onion, cheeses and salt and pepper.  Drizzle with the olive oil and toss.  Press this mixture onto the dough and bake for about 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the bottom browns lightly.


ARTICHOKE AND BASIL PESTO PIZZA

1 organic pizza dough 
1/2 can artichoke hearts, drained and cut up a bit
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups organic mozzarella cheese, grated

Method:  Spread the dough out into a pan.  Spread with the pesto, followed by a spreading a drizzle of olive oil.  Sprinkle some cheese, add the artichokes and then sprinkle the rest of the cheese.  Bake for 10-15 in the preheated 450* oven.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful memories......as I recall you would finish it before we arrived hom, leaving only the crust for me...

    ReplyDelete