Monday, December 21, 2009

Creamy Mushroom Rotini

I planned ahead and made sure that I bought enough mushrooms from the Farmer's Market for my turkey stuffing.  But then I made this pasta and used them all up.  I thought I was pretty much ready for the grand feast, but it looks like we need to make ONE more trip to the supermarket!
     The photo was taken long before I coated it with a massive layer of grated romano cheese.  Be sure to remember to add cheese before you serve.
  In the spring I made a small batch of Dandelion Wine from the lovely flowers that grow in our yard.  It takes 6 months to ferment and I opened a bottle this weekend.  I like it!  I used up what was left in this pasta.

CREAMY MUSHROOM PASTA with Spinach and Bacon if you're not a vegetarian 

1/4 pound organic bacon, chopped into little pieces
4 cloves organic garlic, smashed and minced
1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 pound organic mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp fresh organic thyme or 2 tsp dried
sea salt and pepper
3 Tbsp organic unbleached white flour
1/2 cup organic white wine 
1 cup organic chicken stock or veg stock
1/2 cup organic whole or half and half cream
2 cups organic fresh or some frozen chopped spinach
grated fresh romano cheese
1/2  pound organic kamut rotini
1/2 pound organic rotini

Method: Bring a huge pot of salted water to boil.  Add the pasta and cook according to package directions.  
     As this cooks, heat a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add the bacon and cook for a couple of minutes, then add the garlic and onion.  Fry for 1 minute then add the mushrooms .  Sprinkle with the thyme and cook mushrooms, stirring for about 5 minutes.  Then add salt and pepper to taste, and the flour.  Stir and cook for about 3 minutes.  Whisk in the wine and and cook for about a minute, stirring.  Then whisk in the stock, cooking for about a minute until it starts to thicken.  Add the cream and cook on low for about 5 minutes.  When done, stir in the spinach and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment