Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Stew Weather

When Scott went to go pick up our organic meat order, the man delivering it asked if we were going to sell it.  When he heard we had no plans to sell all the meat he then commented we must have a large family!  Well actually there is only Scott, Faegan and I in this household, but a freezer full of organic beef, a whole lamb and nine chickens.  I figure that will last us 8-9 months at least.  We like having food in the house, and we like buying meat in bulk because it saves us money.  And we really like making stew.....
     As I was just about to make the dumplings for this stew I realized that I didn't have any baking powder left.  I had just bought a bag of it in July.  I know this for sure because I was making our wedding cake and wanted to make sure I didn't run out.  That means I've gone through a whole pack of baking powder in 3 months!  Baking madness over here.  Anyway, so I called my friend Serena to see if she had any I could have and luckily they had just enough.

LAMB STEW with Whole Wheat Dumplings

2 pounds lamb stew meat ( I like the kind with the bones)
1/2 cup unbleached organic flour
sea salt and pepper
4 Tbsp organic vegetable oil
1 large organic onion, chopped
2 cups water
3/4 tsp dry organic thyme, or 1 Tbsp fresh
1 1/2 cups beer, preferably dark (1 bottle)
1 pound organic potatoes, peeled and quartered
3 organic carrots, peeled and cut 1/2" thick on the diagonal
1 cup organic celery root, peeled and cubed
1 organic parsnip, peeled and cut 1/2" thick on the diagonal
3 Tbsp chopped fresh organic parsley

Method:  In a large bowl, season flour with salt and pepper.  Dredge lamb in the flour mixture, shaking off excess.  In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.  Working in batches, brown lamb on all sides.  Transfer to a plate.
     Pour 1/4 cup of the water into the pot, scraping up browned bits from bottom with a wooden spoon.  Add onions, stirring occasionally until water has evaporated and onion is beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.  Return lamb to pot; stir in thyme, beer, and 1 1/2 cups of water. Cover and simmer until lamb is tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
     Add potatoes and vegetables to pot.  Cook, covered until vegetables are tender and stew has thickened.  About 20 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with parsley.  Add dollops of dumpling dough to top of stew, cover and again and keep simmering for another 15 minutes.  Serve.

WHOLE WHEAT DUMPLINGS

When I went to Serena's to pick up the baking powder they asked what I needed it for.  When I told them it was for dumplings in the lamb stew they both exclaimed, "Oh Doughboys!"  and I said "I guess so!".  You see that is the first time I have ever heard anyone call dumplings doughboys, but I like it, so doughboys it shall be.  Serena's mom is from Newfoundland and that is what they call them there.

1 cup organic whole wheat flour
1/2 cup organic unbleached white flour
3 tsp aluminum and corn free baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup organic butter
3/4 cup organic milk

Method:  Combine flours, baking powder and salt in a bowl.  Cut in the butter until it resembles a coarse meal.  Stir in milk with as many strokes as possible.  Place dollops of dough ontop of stew and steam with lid on for 15 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment