Friday, October 16, 2009

Rainy Day Supper

I was going to make pizza for supper tonight but then I remembered that I had some hook and line haddock in the freezer, so I took it out to thaw and then phoned my mother to chat.  My family has this habit of always asking each other what we are having for dinner.  So of course, I asked her what they would be eating and she told me. Then inevitably she asked me what I was going to make and I told her about the fish.  She then when on to tell me about this great recipe she saw in a magazine, (Chatelaine or Canadian Living I can't remember which) called Feta Crusted Fish.  So here is my take on this recipe.

FETA CRUSTED HADDOCK

1 pound hook and line haddock (2 fillets)
1/2 cup organic whole wheat breadcrumbs
1/4 cup organic local feta cheese, finely crumbled
1 tsp dry organic oregano
1/2 tsp dry organic thyme
zest of one organic lemon
sea salt and pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil

Method:  Preheat oven to 450*.  Combine everything but the fish in a bowl.  Place haddock in a pan (I like to use my cast iron skillet) and pat dry.  Coat the top of the fish with the breadcrumb mixture, pressing down so it sticks to the fish.  Bake in oven for 10 minutes.

ROASTED VEGETABLES

I met a lovely woman named Alice the other day who lives on a hill by the sea.  As we spoke she offered me some vegetables from her garden, and then proceeded to pick some huge carrots, parsnips and cucumber from the soil.  We fed the carrot tops to her neighbour's cows through the fence.

1 organic carrot
1 organic potato
1 organic sweet potato
1 organic celery root, peeled
1 organic onion
4 cloves organic garlic
1 organic tomato
1 organic parsnip
1/3 organic butternut squash, peeled
1/4 cup olive oil
sea salt and pepper
2 tsp organic dry or fresh oregano

Method: Preheat oven to 400*.  Cut all the vegetables into approximately the same size.  Toss all vegetables into a pan and drizzle with the oil, oregano, salt and pepper.  Roast for about an hour or until vegetables are cooked and starting to get golden on the edges.

THE SALAD WE ATE WITH THIS SUPPER

The garden is just about ready to be prepared for winter.  Today I harvested the last of the salad greens which consisted of two varieties of bitter endive.  To make this a little more palatable I used some local apple cider balsamic vinegar and maple syryup to sweeten the deal.

bunch of endive
1 carrot shredded
handful of organic sunflower seeds
a bit of local feta, crumbled
sea salt and pepper
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1-2 Tbsp apple cider balsmaic vinaigrette
1 Tbsp olive oil

No comments:

Post a Comment