Friday, October 9, 2009

Pumpkins and Tomatoes

My grape tomatoes have been super producing lately and we've had bowls of them ripening on the counter for days.  Faegan has been enjoying watching his Mommy cook.  He pulls up a chair right up to the counter and gets up to watch me as I work.  He has been fascinated with these bowls of tomatoes.  Occasionally popping one in his mouth, but mostly he likes to play with them. Before they start to rot I thought I'd make some tomato sauce with them. 
     While I was in the kitchen I also decided to start getting ready for the Thanksgiving Feast I am preparing on Monday.  I am thinking about making a pumpkin pie so I decided to bake 2 pumpkins in the oven so I don't have to worry about it this weekend.  I froze the extra puree to have on hand for the winter.  I am drying the pumpkin seeds to plant in the spring.

FRESH TOMATO SAUCE

3 cups organic tomatoes, chopped if they are large, otherwise the mini ones can go in whole
2 cloves organic garlic, chopped
handful of fresh organic basil, shredded
sea salt and pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil

Method:  Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat.  Add the garlic and heat for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and basil, sea salt and pepper.  Simmer until sauce is thickened, about 30 mins.

PUMPKIN PUREE 
                        
2 small organic pumpkins

Method:  Preheat oven to 350*.  Cut the pumpkins in half, scoop out the seeds and place face down in a roasting pan or cast iron skillets.  Bake for about 45-60 mins until the pumpkins are nice and soft.  Let cool slightly and then scoop out the flesh.  Puree in a food processor.  Use in baking or freeze.


No comments:

Post a Comment