Friday, September 18, 2009

Welcoming Autumn One Bite at a Time

In our house we take food seriously.  Food to me is more than a way to stave off hunger, it is a celebration of life each day as we gather around the table at supper.  It is the only time in the day that our family is all together.  Over a delicious meal we reconnect as a family, sitting in a circle with a candle lit and sometimes when the mood strikes me, I cut some seasonal flowers to bring to the table.  I try to remember to slow it down, take the time, relax and commune with the energy I am about to receive.  It is from this place of love that I invite you to journey with me as I share recipes, stories and images with you from our kitchen on our little homestead by the sea....  
     Admittedly, it is me who takes food the most seriously.  I love food - cooking it, eating it, shopping for it, growing it, harvesting it, sharing it and on and on.....Food for me is also my activism.  My aim is to be socially responsible by supporting organic agriculture, local seasonal producers and businesses that are conscious about the impact our food choices have on the health of ourselves and generations to come. Actions speak way louder than words, and where we spend our money has a big impact.  There are a few guidelines I have created to help me make good choices when it comes to food: 
1. Avoid non-organic corn, soy, canola and wheat.  Odds are if it isn't organic, it has been genetically modified.  This also applies to meat and dairy products- farmers feed animals food that contains GMO's.  For more information about why GMO's are best avoided please visit http://www.greenpeace.org/international/campaigns/genetic-engineering
2. Avoid hydrogenated and modified vegetable oils.  These foods cause heart disease.  For more info visit http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/index.html
3. Avoid processed foods as much as possible.
4. Eat locally
5. Eat organically
6.  Eat more raw foods.
7. Make your own food as much as possible.
8. Grow your own food, raise your own animals.
9. Eat seasonally

GIVING THANKS
     I've recently begun the ritual of giving thanks for our food before we eat.  The idea of blessing our food before we eat has always appealed to me.  Now that I have a child, it is especially important to me that we take the time to appreciate all that has gone into the creation of this food.  That means we remember and acknowledge the farmers, we give thanks to the animals who have been sacrificed so that we may eat, to the elements of earth, sun, wind and rain, as well as the person who took the time to create a delicious meal for us to enjoy.  Most of all we acknowledge that awesome creative energy that is behind everything which can only be described as "Wahe Guru" ( I am in ecstasy when I experience that indescribable wisdom!) which takes place with each and every bite.
SAMPLE MEAL BLESSING
Blessing on the blossom, blessing on the root
Blessing on the leaf and stem, blessing on the fruit.
    

Recent autumn recipes:

PEANUT BUTTER CUPS
Although these can be enjoyed anytime of year, I made these a couple of days ago and I can't stop eating them.
1/3 cup organic salted butter
1 cup organic natural peanut 
butter
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs (or any biscuit crumbs)
3 generous tablespoons organic agave syrup or honey 
1 cup organic milk chocolate
1/4 cup milk
12 cup paper muffin shells

In a small pan over medium heat melt the butter.  Then stir in the peanut butter, cookie crumbs and sugar.  Spoon about 2 tablespoons of this mixture into muffin tins lined with the paper shells.  Put in the freezer until hard.  In anot
her pot melt the chocolate and milk together, stirring often.  Then spoon the warm chocolate mix onto the hardened peanut cups. 
 Set in fridge 6-8 hours before serving.


                                             
AUTUMN PEARS
Last Saturday at the Halifax Farmer's Market I picked up two huge bags of organic pears from Boate's Apple Farm.  This is the third year in a row that I have done this.  They are such delicious pears once you let them ripen on the counter.  But what do you do with sooo many?  Every year my Excalibur dehydrator gets a workout when I slice tray after tray of pears for making dried pears. Great on their own or in trail mix.
By the way this picture only shows half of the pears I bought, the rest are in 
the fridge in the basement to slow 
down the ripening process.

DRIED PEARS
Method: Peel and core pears.  Slice each paper vertically into 4-6 slices, place on dehydrator tray and dry at 105 * for about 10 hours or until they are dry!
Store in a mason jar.





1 comment: