Thursday, May 28, 2015

HARVESTING NETTLE

There is a small window of opportunity to harvest tender nettle leaves.  I was hesitant to harvest them too soon when the stalks were very short.  It seems I just narrowly escaped the point at which the plants start to produce seeds. It seems kind of odd to already be thinking ahead to next winter, but that is just what I had to do if I want to enjoy nettle tea when the snow flies. With gloves and scissors in hand, my son and I headed for the garden. Despite exercising extreme caution, we still felt the wrath of the nettle patch. I suffer gladly in exchange for a stockpile of this tea.  Nettle is energizing because it is packed full of protein, vitamins and minerals - there is no other plant that is denser in nutrition, not even blue-green algae. 


NETTLE INFUSION

30 g dried organic nettle leaves
1 litre water

Method: Boil the water.  Put the dried herb into a large Mason jar and fill to the top with the boiling water. Lid tightly and set aside to steep for at least four hours, or overnight.  To use, strain and enjoy or refrigerate for later. Drink 1-2 litres a week for vibrant health and well being.

No comments:

Post a Comment