Thursday, January 10, 2013

30 Days of Real Meals- #3 Cabbage Roll Casserole

I grew up eating my mother's amazing cabbage rolls.  These days, I get my fix (without all the work) by making this quick and easy casserole.  I love recipes you can make with 1 pound of ground beef.
I know I already warned you about the potential for bad lighting in my photographs for this 30 Day journey, but I am sorry for all the artificial lighting......by the time dinner is ready, the sun has set and we are in a hurry to eat so I just snap and go!  I love the natural light of summertime when the days last 
F O R E V E R.......

CABBAGE ROLL CASSEROLE

1 pound organic grass fed beef
3 cloves organic garlic, smashed and minced
2 organic onions, chopped
1 cup organic basmati or white rice
26 oz organic tomato sauce, or chopped tomatoes (preferably from a glass jar)
2 Tbsp organic tomato paste (from a glass jar)
1/2 cup organic chicken stock or water
6 cups shredded organic cabbage
1tsp organic ground cinnamon
1 tsp organic mint
sea salt and pepper
organic feta or romano cheese

Method:  In a large frying pan, cook the beef, onions, and garlic until there is no pink left in the beef.  Add salt and pepper.
     Add the uncooked rice to the beef mixture and set aside.
     Mix together the tomatoes, paste, stock, cinnamon, and mint. 
     In a large casserole dish (1.5 L), layer half the cabbage.  Cover with half of the beef mixture.  Cover that with half of the sauce.  Repeat. Cover and bake at 350* for one hour.  Serve with feta cheese or grated romano.

No comments:

Post a Comment