Wednesday, June 9, 2010

RED CLOVER WINE


It recently occurred to me that I could make not only Dandelion Wine but Red Clover Wine too!  That is really exciting because making wine is fun, and I love red clovers.  The bees do too!  I noticed many of them buzzing around the blossoms as I was picking them at midday.  My son was a great helper, picking a blossom here and there, and holding the basket, following me around the yard as he watched the bees frolic amongst the clover.  I had to beg my husband not to cut the grass until I had a chance to pick my fill of flowers for the winemaking.  I think he likes it that I make stuff from weeds so it wasn't too hard to convince him.  While I was at it, I picked a basketful to dry for winter teas.  Red clover is very nutritious and delicious.
     The herb garden is sprouting many perennials once again, my favorites being the chives, oregano, thyme and lemon balm.  I made a lovely fresh herbal tea from the red clover tops and lemon balm leaves while the wine making was in session.  I was also inspired to add some chive blossoms to our salad after eating at Fid the other night.  It was something I always knew I could do, but somehow never bothered to.  They looked delicious sprinkled in with some violets in our very own salad greens.  I love spring and eating the things that grow right here in our yard.  I also remembered to harvest some comfrey branches to hang and dry for medicinal salves and teas.  They look so lovely hanging around in our kitchen.
     If you are interested in making Red Clover Wine, simply substitute Red Clover Blossoms for the Dandelion in the posting for Dandelion Wine recipe.
     I couldn't resist taking a few shots of our lovely little chicks.  Well, they're aren't so little anymore!  Good thing they are here too because we lots 2 hens a couple of weeks ago to PREDATORS, so we were sad, but they certainly make us feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment