Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Mom's Kitchen Post #2 Chicken Soup

So my camera broke today, I have a feeling my son banged it with a hammer.  Anyway, so I will be buying  a new one, but until then, enjoy my mom's posts........

MY MOM'S KITCHEN - POST #2

Chicken soup has always been at the top of my comfort food list. Today I decided that I needed a little of that comfort.

CHICKEN SOUP

1 whole organic chicken
3 stalks organic celery
3 organic carrots
1 large organic onion, or leek
3 cloves organic garlic
fresh organic parsley
2 organic bay leaves
8 cups filtered water
6 whole organic peppercorns and sea salt to taste
1 1/2 cups organic kamut orzo
3 organic spring onions, sliced
fresh organic lemon juice

Place all ingredients  except last 3 for broth in a stock pot, cover with cold water over medium heat and bring to a slow boil. Simmer until chicken is tender. Strain the ingredients, set the chicken aside until cool enough to handle. Bring broth to a boil, add orzo, and simmer until tender. Separate the meat from the chicken and add to soup. Serve with chopped spring onion garnish, or parsley ,or both if you wish, a little fresh ground pepper,and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Serve with some nice crusty bread....now that's comfort!

No comments:

Post a Comment