Sunday, October 9, 2011

DIGGIN IT SUNDAYS* 9/09/11

As much as I have been loving the cooler temperatures we've been experiencing lately, today's warm sun made a most beautiful sunset, complete with my loving family around me.  Something about the light made the eyes of my baby and husband so vibrant and well, blue.  I had to take a picture, and as I did I thought to myself, wow, I am so digging my man right now.......lol.  
We were outside with the kids filling the bird feeders with the seeds Scott harvested from his very own sunflowers.  One of the saddest things I have chosen to do is to stop purchasing bird seed because it comes packaged in plastic bags.  So it was with great delight that I filled the feeders tonight with seeds that came direct from the garden.  So of course, I had daydreams of growing fields of sunflowers......

This week I have also really been loving roasted vegetables.  I know, I know, they are so 90's, and so overdone.  But when you only eat tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, and zucchini when they are in season they become a rare delicacy.  We've been eating roasted veg in everything from pasta, panzerottis and quiche.
 The last leaves of lettuce in the garden have been tasting awesome dressed in this Maple Soy Vinagrette from Recipes from the Root Cellar.  I know I keep mentioning this cookbook, but that is because I am really diggin it.
MAPLE SOY VINAIGRETTE

2 Tbsp organic balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp local maple syrup
2 Tbsp organic tamari
2 cloves organic garlic
1 1/2 inch piece of organic ginger
3 Tbsp organic e.v olive oil

Method: Blend and enjoy.

One of my greatest pleasures in being a mother is revisiting the wonderful world of childhood with my son.    I love sharing songs, stories, games and toys from my own childhood, as well as introducing both of us to new and exciting things.  Being a child of the 80's I myself was totally immersed in television and plastic culture, so it is fun exploring a whole new world that doesn't include these things.  Each day is an adventure into story, fantasy, nature and parenting.  I am learning so much about myself as a person as I strive to be a loving parent and person, the likes of which I would want my child to model.  No doubt, this is a very challenging process, but at moments like this one right now I am so diggin being a mom.  I am really loving awakening creativity within myself, and enjoying the creativity of others.
  Right  now I am reading The Compete Hans Christian Andersen Fairy Tales and can't wait until Faegan is a bit older to share the tales with him.  But for now I am just relishing the rich imagery and fantasy of it all.....

No comments:

Post a Comment